Curl Gymnasium was built in 1929 for recreation and physical education to replace multi-purpose Kelly Hall in Main Building. Originally called simply “The Gymnasium,” it was renamed in memory of Joe Curl, longtime Antioch staff member following his death in 1943. Curl is thought to be the first black coach of a white college basketball team, and he himself was an outstanding baseball player.
The East Gym houses a notable pastel mural executed in 1938 by Social Realist artist Gilbert Wilson. The three panels depict the course of humankind and are named “Collapse,” “Man Emerges” and “Order.”
A South Gym and pool were added in 1964.
The following year the pool was enclosed with a roof.
There has been no significant renovations to the building until the current renovation which began June 2013.